- 1/3 of the world's population is infected with TB
- TB is a worldwide leading killer of women
- 1 person dies from TB every 20 seconds
- TB is the leading killer of people infected with HIV
- 90% of people who test positive for HIV will die within months of contracting TB, if not properly treated
- the drug regimen for treating standard TB in the developing world is only $20 per patient!
Tuberculosis is often spread through the air. It can occur in many parts of the body, but classically occurs in the lungs. Symptoms include:
- night sweats
- chest pain
- coughing up blood
- unexplained weight loss
- loss of appetite
- cough lasting longer than 3 weeks
I urge you to learn more about TB by visiting StopTB.org and Action.org.