Read more about this possible current case in Virginia.
Tips to avoiding CJD:
- Know your food!
- Take action to improve the downer cow situation in the US.
- Avoid eating meat.
- Prions pass mainly by ingestion.
- Our current agricultural industry often feeds parts of animals to other animals.
- Grow your own, or have someone you know raise it. Make sure that the animal is vegetarian fed.
- Avoid manure based fertilizer.
- Prions may be able to spread from manure onto food; remember the recent E coli spinach outbreak. This is still a tenuous link, but a possibility. Once again knowing your source is important.